Mar 1, 2018

Random Thursday

The last day for a short time for That's a Fact Jack: A Collection of Utterly Useless Information [Updated] by Harry Bright and Jakob Anser! This book has definitely been obscure and random, making it perfect for Thursdays!!


(image borrowed from Wholesale Nursery)
"There actually is a burning bush: Dictamnus albus is a Eurasian perennial that emits an aromatic flammable vapor, which, when ignited, envelops the leaves and petals in a flash of flame without harming the plant."


That I did not know!


(image borrowed from Gardening Know How)
"The sandbox tree grows pumpkin-shaped fruit that explodes, launching seeds as far as 300 feet at speeds up to 150 mph! Its nickname is the 'dynamite tree.'"


Didn't know there was such a thing as a sandbox tree! And that it has fruit that explodes is mind-blowing!


(image borrowed from Wikipedia)
"Trees making a gurgling sound when they're thirsty."

For real?!


(image borrowed from McDonalds)
"A calorie is the amount of energy, or heat, it takes to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius. A gallon of gasoline contains 31,000 kilocalories, or the equivalent of 46,300 Happy Meals."


Daaaaang!! And I thought 1 Happy Meal was unhealthy! 


(image borrowed from Disney Wiki)
"You can tell the temperature by listening to a cricket chirp. For the temperature is degrees Fahrenheit, count the number of chirps in 15 seconds and then add 37."


That's bizarre!


(image borrowed from Disney Wiki)
"The ears of a cricket are located on its front legs, just below the knees."


That's interesting!


(image borrowed from Wikipedia)
"Scientists at the Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor site in Princeton, New Jersey, have produced temperatures as high as 920 million degrees Fahrenheit, or about 34 times as hot as the center of the sun."


Aka the place where I can never ever ever work because I don't do heat! Lol!









3 comments:

  1. I always love this post. So crokeckets tell the temp. Strange. I do t stick around long enough to count their chirps. I find the exploding fruit very interesting and gross but would love be to see it. Also I tO mak a gugleing sounds when I am thirsty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I'm a science nerd and got a degree in biology. I find it all so fascinating! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I learned that about crickets then promptly forgot. That's so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!